Dansville Central School District


dansville_mustang_logo_copy.jpgThe Dansville Central School district serves just under 2000 students encompassing 10 municipalities.

Dansville’s first school opened in 1798. As was typical of the time a number of small schools sprang up over the next several decades. However, as the population grew, discussion began in 1881 to merge several of the local districts into one. In 1883 a Union school meeting was held to officially merge two district schools into one. Later that year the Union school opened and with it Dansville had its first public high school. In 1885 the school was registered with the New York State Education Department and could henceforth grant diplomas.

 

In 1926 a Central School District was created as the districts of North Dansville, Town of Dansville (Steuben County), and West Sparta combined to become one district. The following year the new high school (now occupied by Genesee Community College on Clara Barton Street) opened its doors. As the population continued to grow and the existing school aged, it was decided that a new elementary school was needed. The current school opened in 1953. The building was named for former principal and Superintendent Ellis B. Hyde in 1960. The primary school opened in 1968 and grades K-3 moved from the elementary school into the new building.

 

Overcrowding in the high school caused the district to go to “double sessions” in 1962 as the school board tried to offer a building plan the voters would approve. Finally the new high school building was built and opened in September, 1965. Grades 10-12 attended the high school while grades 7-9 remained at the Clara Barton Street building. In 1994 the configuration changed as the 9th grade moved to the High School and grades 6-8 now studied in the Middle School. In 2011 the Clara Barton Street school was closed and all students now attend classes at the North Main Street campus. DCSD currently serves approximately 1600 PK-12 students.

 

Some Interesting Facts:

    • The school colors were reported to be Red and Black as far back as 1912.
    • The Alma Mater first appeared in the 1912 yearbook.
    • In 1941 the basketball team was so successful that the local paper held a contest to choose a mascot. The mustang was selected and remains today as the school mascot.
    • In 1962 the athletic field was named Ralph Clements Field in memory of the long time teacher, coach and administrator.

 

 

Dansville High School
282 Main Street Dansville 
585-335-4010


Dansville Primary School
284 Main Street Dansville 
585-335-4040

 

Dansville Elementary School
280 Main Street Dansville
585-335-4030

 

 

 

bottom

Contact:

Dr. Paul Alito

Address:

District Office

284 Main St. Dansville, NY 14437

Phone:

585-335-4000

Email:

alitop@@dansvillecsd.org

Website:

www.dansvillecsd.org

facebook_icon.jpg   twitter_icon.jpg

bottom
bottom